Huawei makes some of the best hardware on the planet and also has one of the most aggressive development cycles. Just months after the release of their current flagship, the P40 Pro, now comes a new and improved model, the P40 Pro +.
The Huawei P40 Pro + takes what was already a great phone and makes it even better. The Pro + features the same excellent display running at 2640 x 1200 running at 90Hz, but supports 5G connectivity and a much superior camera module.
In terms of colors, we’ve seen Huawei bring the Deep Sea Blue gradients with the P40 Pro, but with the Pro + Australia will see a white ceramic finish, while the world will see a black variant as well.
When inquiring about the reason for the choice of colors, Huawei told me that white represents something a little unique in a landscape of largely black phones. I actually like the white ceramic a lot, it is more scratch resistant and compared to the typical glass back that we usually see, although many throw it in a case which will hide it.
“The HUAWEI P40 Pro + continues the legacy of P-Series imaging excellence, with the unique Ultra Vision sensor, SuperZoom Matrix and pro-level cinematic features.
A flagship feature for Australians will be the Golden Snap, which lets you remove unwanted subjects or reflections from shots to get that perfect Instagram image every time.
The handset also delivers super-fast speed with the high-performance Kirin 990 5G chipset, to instantly connect Australians and the world around them. “
Larking Huang, Managing Director of Huawei Consumer Business in Australia
Now for those cameras. The P40 Pro + now has less than 5 cameras. They are:
- 50MP Ultra Vision Camera (with OIS)
- 40MP Ultra Wide Cine Camera
- 8MP SuperZoom Camera (10x optical zoom)
- 8MP telephoto lens (3X optical zoom)
- 3D depth detection camera.
These cameras combine to create a stunning 100x Supersensing zoom capable of capturing details over 500 meters away. Being able to zoom has always been one of the great features reserved for DSLRs, but with these amazing new lens systems our smartphones are becoming incredibly capable.
The camera story doesn’t end there with one of the highest quality front cameras on the market. The dual front camera includes a 32MP camera with autofocus and an IR depth camera, which produce selfies with natural bokeh effects.
When it comes to performance, the P40 Pro + is powered by the Kirin 990 5G processor and comes with 512GB storage, compared to 256GB in the P40 Pro, while also offering the same 8GB RAM.
In terms of battery, there’s the same big 4,200mAh battery that will get you through a full day of aggressive use. The phone also supports Huawei SuperCharge with a Max 40W.
When it comes to software, Huawei offers 3 ways to get the apps you want on the HUAWEI P40 Pro +
- Phone cloning – A simple way to transfer your apps, contacts, data, files and photos from your old smartphone to your new smartphone, in just a few easy steps.
- Application gallery – Huawei’s official app store with over 420 million monthly active users and a constantly growing list of apps. It has a 4-layer detection mechanism to ensure that the applications presented can be downloaded and used safely. Simply browse and download the apps you need.
- Petal search – one of three ways Huawei users can search and download apps on their HMS devices, alongside AppGallery and Phone Clone. Just use it right from the home screen of your device.
Pricing and availability
We often see phone makers giving freebies at new product launches and this time Huawei has a pretty cool one. As long as stocks allow, Huawei will be giving away a GT2e watch as a shopping gift (A $ 349.00).
The Huawei P40 Pro + will be available from August 7, 2020 and will cost AUD 2,099. For more information, visit Huawei.